Institution accredited by
The GDECC was created in 1999 from the merger of two facilities founded over a century ago in the East of Montréal. The Grace Dart Hospital, located at 6085 Sherbrooke St. East, was founded in 1907 by Henry J. Dart and named in honour of his daughter, Grace, who died from tuberculosis in 1898. For over 60 years, the hospital was a sanatorium. Until recently, the facility was known as Grace Dart Pavilion, and had 101 beds. Its services were relocated to Ste. Anne’s Hospital, in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, in September 2016 because the facility had become outdated.
The second facility, known today as the Extended Care Site, was called, at the time of its foundation in 1863, Montreal Protestant House of Industry and Refuge. This refuge was settled on the grounds of the Dubois farm, bequeathed by Thomas Molson. The building, located at 5155 Sainte-Catherine Street East, was inaugurated in 1885 to welcome poor elderly of Protestant denomination. Today, it has 256 beds.
For a long time, the GDECC has primarily served Montréal’s English speaking clientele. Following recent developments, the Centre now serves a clientele from the Montréal West Island. Bilingualism is therefore an essential requirement in providing our services, while cultural diversity brings colour in the daily lives of the residents of GDECC.
5155 St. Catherine Street East
Montreal, Quebec, H1V 2A5